From Foster's Online:
ROCHESTER — Appearing before at least 60 voters at the Governor's Inn on Sunday, presidential candidate Chris Dodd said he "understands the appetite" of people wanting to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney, but he doesn't think the long process would help the country.This seems, to me, to be a huge error of judgement. Here's my reasons why I feel this way:
"There are too many other issues out there the American public were hoping Democrats would decide to address and focus on. That's the choice you make. Others may make a different focus. My choice would be to focus on other agenda items," he said.
1) The Democratic Majority was elected to end the war in Iraq. They couldn't get that single issue resolved. So I don't think we'll see much more gridlock in the already gridlocked Congress should they impeach Cheney.
2) George Bush can drop dead at any moment, probably from something stupid like cutting off his own leg with a chainsaw at his ranch. Cheney would then be President. Imagine the hell that he'd unleash with THAT power!
3) You're saying it's OK to break the laws and piss all over the Constitution and not have to worry about consequences. That's a big precident you're setting there, Senator. How will he be brought to account for his crimes?
4) The current Congress has earned a record low approval rating primarily because of the lack of action to end the war. There's still time to try to do SOMETHING right.
5) By beginning impeachment hearings, you'll uncover lots more evidence than you'll get now by doing nothing. I'm sure there are plenty of witnesses who would love to tell their stories, but are afraid to because they think nothing will be done with it.
6) Impeachment hearings make great summer TV viewing. I need something to entertain me while I'm sitting on my yacht.
7) By tying Cheney's hands with impeachment proceedings, maybe he'll be too busy to further wreck our country.
So reconsider your stand, Senator.
Remember, Lowell Weicker acted properly when the moment was right. Don't miss your moment.