Friday, July 13, 2007

It's time for a break

During my recent vacation, I thought a lot about why I got into political blogging. I realized that I’ve been blogging for well over a year now without a significant break.

I started Connecticut Bob with one primary purpose, and that purpose was to do everything possible to help Ned Lamont win. I originally intended to bow out immediately following the November election. After the election, many of my colleagues urged me to keep the blog going. I agreed to continue for as long as possible. Lately however, I've been finding the effort of writing and maintaining the blog has become way too much of a chore instead of the fun and challenging hobby it was last year.

For instance, when I heard about Bush giving Libby a free pass for his crimes, my very first thought was, "Oh shit, now I gotta write something about it!" When that becomes my first reaction to a major story like that instead of excitement, it’s obviously time for me to take a break.

Maura told me “I think we all are learning in our own way that a sustained diet of outrage and injustice is just not healthy, even if the Bush administration, its cronies, and even some Democrats seem determined to feed us nothing else. But life is short, and we gotta have some balance.”

Because I don't run a community blog, it's impossible for me to simply hand over the reigns to anyone else. I find that I envy Branford Boy for his opportunity to exit gracefully from the daily grind of maintaining his blog. My Left Nutmeg continues to be a vibrant and informative blog. Sadly, I don't have that option.

I have a sailing blog that I still enjoy immensely, and I occasionally post on my filmmaking blog; and I've become active in local politics with being on the DTC here in Milford, so I've got plenty to keep me busy. And I'll post an occasional diary on MLN if I come up with something I think especially newsworthy. I'll still shoot videos when it's convenient or if something really big is happening. I'm not going to stop being a progressive activist or a blogger by any means.

But I really need a break. I'm going to keep the blog up indefinitely, and I'll post occasionally on matters of importance, and especially on Kerri Rowland's mayoral campaign. But I'm going to cut back on trying to post daily, which will relieve the burden quite a bit. Hopefully I'll be back in full swing sometime soon.

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate your support.

11 comments:

Connecticut Man1 said...

Awww Man... I understand why. I have felt like this at times and I take a break and come back. Blogger burnout is very real, especially in politics when there is so much to rage about.

I am glad you aren't just shutting down completely. It would be a huge loss to CT's left.

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, But where will I go for my daily calorie-free Snicker???

Anonymous said...

Absolutely understandable. It takes a fair investment of time and energy just to read political blogs, let alone write one. You've done great work with this blog, which has always been enjoyable to follow.

Have fun with your down time. Your loyal readers still have the periodic postings on "Hollywood Bob" to look forward to.

Melissa said...

You're still a rock star! Enjoy your break and don't be a stranger.

vagabondblogger said...

Bob: I try for one post every week and that's my Funkengroovin Wednesday, regardless of how dry the VW scene is here in Cairo, Egypt. That's the only one I've committed myself to, and the other posts, I look at as an extra added bonus (for me - cause I'm pretty damned lazy). That's also the reason I didn't commit to a political blog - it can get boring, and if it's not, how many times can you use variations of f*#k in a blog? I'm certainly not one to preach, but get some balance. Hey, besides, it's summertime - even the Iraqi Government is taking a vacation.

ctblogger said...

It will suck you back...blogging is like a sickness :-)

Anonymous said...

we'll miss you...take a good rest, and come back in time for the increbdibly important 08 elections!

MikeCT said...

I understand completely (hey, I can't even work up a few diaries per month), but I hope you'll continue to check in periodically. I especially appreciate the light-hearted touch you bring to topics that can explode the heads of many of us.

Whenever I hear "Connecticut Bob," I smile - I can't say that about many people.

MIKE said...

Your contribution to our party and the liberal cause is incalculable. The comments that Maura made are very true. I agree that "a sustained diet of outrage and injustice is not healthy." In fact it seems that most passionate political involvements do a lot to cause complete exhaustion. Because those of us on the (real) left are so passionate and we really DO care, the price that we pay is even higher. As a veteran of Milford's Democratic Party I know that even that involvement can reach high levels of anxiety. But at least it's local and you can take a bit of a breather now--or until the 2008 election season when I suspect that you'll be chomping at the bit to get back into the big fray!!!

Thanks for all you have done for us and for those whom you have loyally supported.

CT Bob said...

Thanks, everyone, for the nice words. They really mean a lot to me!

Sellitman (Kevin) said...

I understand too. I have a Blog I man part time and I wish I could devote half the time to it as you do here. The rats will still be in charge when you get back. Relax and re-charge.

Kevin