Sunday, November 27, 2011

Manchester paper backs Gingrich!


Oh, thank you, Manchester (N.H.) Union Leader, thank you for throwing your vast editorial weight behind my favorite 90s-era politician name, Newt Gingrich!

This will make it much easier than if they had gone the moderate route and chosen New England favorite Mitt Romney, whom I still perceive as the greatest threat to President Obama's re-election next year.

Thankfully, the extreme right will never allow someone who even faintly resembles a moderate to be nominated, and even if they find someone who is slightly left of Benito Mussolini, they'll manage to mold him into their image of a upright conservative; see John McCain's flip-flop on the topic of torture in 2008.

McCain was the single most anti-torture candidate in the Senate, having suffered miserably while a POW in Vietnam, but he came around to the party's radical leadership when they dangled the chance for him to be their nominee. There is NO stance too solid to change when offered a chance to carry the GOP's torch in a presidential election, apparently.

The Union Leader is the state's largest newspaper, and the fact that New Hampshire is holding the first primary (a week after Iowa's caucus; see my 2012 Primary Calendar for more info) will often set the tone for the following primaries and caucuses.

Having the Union Leader go against Mitt Romney is sure to fire up the radical right of the party. Gingrich is a born loser, and I'm hoping to see him finally get the nod after a vicious knock-down fight for the nomination. Obama will dispatch him with ease, and then we'll see what a president can do in the next four years without the hassle of having to run again.

The first thing I'd like to see is the definite expiration of the Bush tax cuts in 2013. The super-wealthy have enjoyed their free ride for 12 years...it's time to pay the piper, even if it does come down to just a few percentage points.

5 comments:

JTHM said...

To early to call winners in the primary, but to call Newt a hardline Conservative is like calling Barak a centrist Clintonite.
Mitt is a Liberals dream canidate and I along with many others aren't in the McCain Ver.2.0 camp.

If you think BO can "dispatch" Newt so easily then you are not the Poltical Intellect you portray to be. Newt is without a doubt a more seasoned Debater and Political animal with years of experience in the arena of Political gamesmanship.

Come to think about it, I believe you Bob, are projecting exactly what the Democrat party is feeling...Fear.

lakezoarian said...

Newt Gingrich: Serial Hypocrisy:

http://youtu.be/cn3jEFpl7zY

O/T, but click on my name above for some more silliness...

lakezoarian said...

A few more for your first commenter. Cripes it's too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel:

"Gingrich: My Infidelities Helped Me Understand How To Impeach Clinton"

(Gingrich tried to justify his divorces by telling the Christian Broadcasting Network that he engaged in his affairs because he was overworked and overcome with patriotism for America. “There’s no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate,” he said. “And what I can tell you is that when I did things that were wrong, I wasn’t trapped in situation ethics, I was doing things that were wrong, and yet, I was doing them.”) HEH

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/03/27/153646/gingrich-affairs-help/

---

"Gingrich Criticized Obama For Not Intervening In Libya, But Now Criticizes Him For Intervening In Libya"

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2011/03/23/152423/gingrich-libya-flip-flop/

JTHM said...

Using known Liberal sourcing does nothing to bolster arguments.( I should know my cousin worked for Media Matters/Think Progress before leaving to work for Green Peace and PETA)

Does Newt have past issues? Sure he does, just like just about every other Politician (BO has more than his fair share, no?) in history, so you point is moot.

9% Unemployment big guy...wanna talk about that? Most Americans do.

I'm seriously looking forward to the Newt eating BO lunch at the debates. Hell, they should make it a pay-for-view charity event, it would pay for the EURO bailout fer chrissakes LOL!

CT Bob said...

I have no fear about Gingrich at all. The man is so thoroughly hate-able that there's zero possibility he'll convince enough Americans to replace Obama. Trust me, the Dems are chomping at the bit to attack him should he establish a solid lead in the GOP nom brawl.

Romney on the other hand, is definitely someone who may be a problem. But thankfully, he's "too liberal" for the GOP base to have any real shot of winning.

You compare Romney to McCain. Maybe there's something to that, but I think McCain was malleable enough to do whatever the GOP power trust wanted him to do should he have won.

I've always thought that if they offered the VP nod to Lieberman rather than that dingbat from Alaska, he might have garnered just enough votes from Democrats to win a key state or two. I was SO happy when they told him to run with Palin instead.

And for the record JTHM, I've never once portrayed myself to be any sort of "political intellect". I think I've always been completely upfront about my level of political dilettantism.

I'm a sports fan-type of blogger, and my blog reflects my level of political sophistication. Which is generally average at best. Hell, I'm constantly amazed that ANYONE reads this stupid blog!