Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sunday Night Music Club v.43

Back in 1987 or so Joyce & I were in Florida to visit my dad and Joyce's sister Jill. We all went out in Fort Lauderdale to get our booze on in the wild bars that dotted the strip along the beach..

Hey, we were young, it's what we did!

Actually, even old, it's what we do.

Old habits die hard.

Jeez, stop being so judgmental!

Anyway, we were bar hopping along the main drag when we saw a marquis that said Warren Zevon was playing. Holy fucking shit! Well, that was my reaction. Joyce knew of him for a few songs that she heard, and Jill and her boyfriend had no idea who this guy was.

Well fuck it! I had the keys to the Suburu, so they either were going in with me, or waiting on the sidewalk. FIVE DOLLARS was the cover charge, which blew my mind. We entered the packed bar and sidled up to the side of the stage, where we got to see Warren playing the piano and acoustic guitar in a solo show.

It was a fucking GREAT set, and I say "set" because Joyce's annoying sister didn't understand she was seeing fucking ART being presented, and she wanted to go dancing or something. So we watched a set and then had to leave, but it was still amazing and it makes me happy that I got to see a legend play some great songs! If I had my 2016 cell phone with me I would have probably hung around to take a selfie with him, but it was 30 years ago and the technology didn't exist and besides, nobody took selfies with a regular camera back then.

Anyway, here's Warren Zevon doing "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner" live on The Late Show with David Letterman, not long before he died.

Warren, that is, not David. David's fine AFAIK.

But not Warren. Warren's definitely dead.

Yup. Dead.

OK, now that we got that straightened out, here's the song.

And please don't forget this valuable advice from Warren:

"Enjoy every sandwich!"

No comments: