Friday, January 04, 2008

Getting some major hits

The last several days I've witnessed a huge jump in blog hits. Like, 20- to 30-fold the normal traffic I get.

And I know why.

I wrote about this phenomenon some weeks ago; but since Wednesday, it's absolutely gone through the roof. Already I've gotten far more hits in January than I had in all of December.

My article about the Primary Schedule, which I originally wrote back in late November of 2006 in the aftermath of the big senate election, has found itself in the very first position on Google when searching for the phrase "primary schedule" (sponsored links notwithstanding).

When I first noticed I was getting referrals from Google, and saw my position of supreme authority on their list of results, I started updating the info regularly.

The frequent updates to the post helped keep me high on the list, I think.

For the last few months I've been averaging anywhere from 100-350 hits per day. Today and yesterday I've gotten over 8,000 hits total, and it's still going strong. When I look at the referrals in the Sitemeter page, it shows about 90-95% hits via Google.

Apparently, people are curious about where this screwed up primary schedule is taking us next. Lots of people.

The good news is that the primary page's sudden popularity has brought new readers to the blog, and I'm also getting a lot of people linking to my site for the first time in quite a while. It seems they're coming for the primary schedule, and then a significant number are reading the other articles.

This makes me happy!

Plus, for at least a few days, this blog will be the most popular political website in Connecticut, based on total hits.

Sweet!

12 comments:

Authentic Connecticut Republican said...

Gosh I better stat posting comments here just so I can get a little draft off of ya!

Seriously though folks - Bob has every right to be pleased and proud, and is in fact well respected even by rational Republicans (in addition to his usual readers.)

CT Bob said...

Hey, thanks ACR, I appreciate that.

Now I feel good about defending you the other night at Melissa's farewell party. :)

Headless Horseman said...

Wow. That's even better than the spike I got at Halloween (for obvious reasons).

Congratulations... you are the most popular political blog in CT. I tip my hat to you!

Sellitman (Kevin) said...

Mazal-Tov! Well deserved. I actually have been hitting on your site for months. I was waiting for your reaction to Dodd dropping out to.

CT Bob said...

Thanks, Headless Horseman. Yeah, Halloween would get you a lot of hits with a name like that!

Sellitman, thanks. I'm going to get to a Dodd post eventually, but right now I'm really busy with the Primaries, and things like the Himes videos.

Authentic Connecticut Republican said...

sellitman

Who's this `Dodd' and what did he or she drop out of?

Connecticut Man1 said...

Impressive! Though, I think this kind of traffic still puts you behind Orient Lodge, Politics in the Zeros and MLN going by the last time I compared traffic and links of local CT Blogs. Though, I could be wrong there.

Still impressive.

Connecticut Man1 said...

Correction there... You may have passed all the "big 3" previously mentioned? I just did a quick check of MLN's traffic and you are blowing them away...

Wowser!

CT Bob said...

I'm fairly certain I was on top for a day or two, anyway. The "surge" is already showing signs of subsiding, although I suspect there will be another spike early in the coming week.

Anyway, none of this approaches the traffic I had back on Connecticut's Senate Primary day, August 8, 2006. Kirby and I live blogged the election from Lamont HQ, and we got something north of 50,000 hits.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bob...geeze, I slack
off for a few weeks and look what
happens!! Now I have returned!
Just don't let it all go to your head...hehehehehe!

Best wishes to ya!!

Maureen
Boston

CT Bob said...

Hi Maureen! Hey, are you aware that Melissa Ryan (Caffeinated Geek Girl) has just moved to Southie? She's working as online coordinator for ActBlue. You should drop her a line and make her feel welcome up there in ol' Beantown.

And about that other thing...do you even doubt that this will go to my head? Haven't you seen Hollywood Bob?

:)

Anonymous said...

thats good im going to have a link to your page i hope you do the same great work

come see my site

http://worldnewsdirect.blogspot.com/