Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Film shoot

Today there was a movie being shot right outside my hotel. A big film crew arrived early and started setting up on 55th St. Around lunchtime I strolled over to see what was going on.

There was a small crowd of people milling around the street corner, near a hot dog vending cart, so I wandered over to check it out.

I walked up next to a couple standing on the sidewalk and looked around. There was a makeup person applying some powder to what I figured was an actor a few feet away. I looked down and realized I was standing right at the end of dolly tracks, and a big Panaflex 35mm camera was mounted on a dolly and pointing my way.

"Excuse me sir! You need to move," a production assistant said to me.

"I'm sorry, I was just watching with these people," I said.

"Those are all extras! You're in the shot! You need to be across the street," she said, pointing to a much bigger crowd, all looking my way.

Ah! That makes sense! I muttered an apology and skulked across the street, somewhat embarrassed.

So I fired off a few shots and quickly left. I don't even know yet what was being filmed, but I can always call my butler and ask him to find out for me.

Butlers rule. Everybody should have one.

I don't know how I survived this long without one.

UPDATE: I asked the concierge instead. He said the movie was "Confessions of a Shopaholic", which apparently is a Disney vehicle with a slew of well-known actors in it, none of whom I saw during the few minutes I was there.

Also, tonight there's a big-time poker tournament for charity being held in the banquet rooms.

With a $5,000 buy-in.

I briefly considered entering, but my tuxedo is out being martinized, so I'm gonna have to sit this one out.

No comments: