Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I finally broke down and got a GPS

I've had one for the boat for two years already, a GPS/chart plotter, which is totally awesome and tells you exactly where you are in fog and at night, but for some stupid reason I've been reluctant to get one for my car.

Maybe it's that "guy thing", where (generalization alert!) us males don't like anyone to tell us how to read a map! Or maybe it's just plain stubborness/cheapness on my part.

I dunno, but last week's disastrous foray into that atrocious monument to poor urban planning known as Boston convinced me to take the plunge and update my navigation tools from pre-15th century cartography to 21st century satellite-ography.

So when CT Joyce found an ad for a very inexpensive GPS at K-Mart, I finally broke down and bought it. It's a Nextar X3-03, and for $159 it seemed pretty reasonable to me. I used it for the first time yesterday.

Holy shit is it awesome! It's super easy to use, and it works amazingly well. It doubles as an mp3 player too! Wow, I can't believe I waited so frickin' long to get one! I even dig the female voice in the machine; I've named her Melinda, and I talk about her so much that my wife is starting to wonder if I have a girlfriend now!

Boy oh boy, I can't WAIT to tackle the jumbled streets of Boston again!

2 comments:

Sellitman (Kevin) said...

Your wife comment struck home. I cover most of the East Coast as a Regional Manager for a small company and when I first got my GPS years ago I was driving down the road and my cell phone went off. It was my wife of course and she wanted to know who the female was in my car. I almost lost control of the wheel I was laughing so hard. Yes they are an incredible tool and now so affordable anyone can own one.

Kate said...

Congratulations on getting the GPS...I want one for my honda..:)