Monday, February 04, 2008

NH Register endorses McCain, Obama

Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain picked up endorsements from the New Haven Register on Sunday.

I'm sure they're both thrilled. There's just one thing...

The whole concept of newspaper endorsements puzzles me.

First, isn't a newspaper supposed to report NEWS in a relatively unbiased way? At least, in theory? Why would anyone want to get their news from a source that comes out in favor of one candidate over another?

Another thing that bothers me is the fact that they endorse candidates from both parties. What's the point of that? If you make an endorsement, you're saying that you think a candidate is the best for the job. How can you endorse two candidates and have your endorsement mean anything? That's like being a Giants fan AND a Patriots fan. Madness!

(do you like how I used a topical example in my argument?)

If the New Haven Register endorses McCain, that would mean they're in favor of staying the course in Iraq, making those Bush tax cuts for the wealthy a permanent thing, and appointing conservative judges to the Supreme Court.

But if the Register endorses Obama, wouldn't that mean they're all for a firm timeline on withdrawal from Iraq, creating a more balanced tax plan, and ensuring the Supreme Court isn't taken over by neocons.

It just doesn't make sense.

Unless, maybe the Register has an agenda here. Maybe they consider Hillary the Democrat most likely to win in November, so they're endorsing someone they think is beatable by the Republicans. Sort of like Markos (DailyKos) endorsing Mitt Romney in the Michigan primary because he presumed that a strong Romney showing will weaken the McCain chances.

That's the only reason I can think of for endorsing candidates from TWO parties with essentially diametrically opposed philosophies.

If they think a candidate is good for the nation, they should endorse THAT candidate. If their candidate loses the nomination, only THEN should they endorse another candidate.

Otherwise, what's the relevance in a newspaper's endorsement?

This blog (me) has endorsed Barack Obama for President. I didn't additionally endorse Mike Huckabee, John McCain, Ron Paul, or Mitt Romney just because they're also in a primary. I endorsed the candidate that I think will be best for our nation. That's it. I wouldn't endorse any Republican for any reason, except if I thought he (or "she"...well, wait a minute, this IS the Republican party I'm talking about here...HE) was the absolute best person running for President. I don't need to pick another party's candidate just because they are having a contest.

Anyway, that's what I think. Does anyone else have thoughts about newspapers that endorse candidates from two parties?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last time I checked NH Register cost 50 cents. My guess is that endorsing two candidates increases the number of papers they sell. After all isn't selling news (not reporting it) what it's all about?

CT Bob said...

It's 75 cents now. And you're probably right about their reasons. I used to believe they endorsed a candidate out of a sense of civic duty. Now I realize it's just a way to sell more papers.

Anonymous said...

Never forget that every newspaper in CT and across the coutry also "endorsed" the Iraq War.

Why?
2 reasons

1)War sells newspapers

2)Real Journalism is hard work,costs money and it doesn't resemble stenography.

ctkeith