Thursday, March 06, 2008

Times Square blast

My first terrorist attack.

Yes, it woke me up. 3:43 AM, a loud "boom". I knew immediately it was some kind of explosion. I stayed in bed and listened for the sirens. After about a minute I only heard a couple, then it was kind of quiet, so I didn't worry about it and fell back asleep. If it was 9/11 part II, I'd have heard all hell breaking loose.

When I woke up this morning, I turned on the news and saw the blast occurred at the famous Army recruiting center in Times Square. I can't quite see it from my window. No injuries, only minor damage. Mostly to the big LCD screen attached to the building.

As terrorist attacks go, I don't have much of a story to tell. It's kind of like visiting San Francisco and feeling a small tremor. When you get home you have a little anecdote to tell your friends, but the Bay Area locals aren't very impressed with it.

Same thing here.

(News vans in front of my hotel this morning)

7 comments:

fuzzyturtle said...

GAH.. :(

glad it's nothing too bad.

creepy, I used to work in that area (no AFTER it was cleaned up haha)

CT Bob said...

I actually miss the old seedy Times Square. Nowadays it seems like Disney World. I dunno, but it doesn't have that sense of danger anymore; excepting the terrorists, that is!

Anonymous said...

I miss the game arcades with Skeeball, prizes and a dirty dirty environment.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,

I was reading Slate the other day and noticed that you were quoted regarding this:

http://www.slate.com/id/2186003/

congrats.

Matthew in San Francisco

CT Bob said...

Hey, would you be cousin Matt?

Thanks for the link. That's awesome.

Anonymous said...

yep... it's me.

I've really been enjoying your blog. It's nice to know you're keeping things sane on the other coast! When I come back to Connecticut, it would be great to raise a glass with some like minded folk.

Please say hello to everyone for me. I hope to see you sometime soon.

-=m

CT Bob said...

Cool! Yeah, email me before you're in town and we'll definitely meet up. Take care!