Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Genghis Conn to retire CTLP?

From Chris Bigelow (aka Genghis Conn), owner and blogger of Connecticut Local Politics, has issued this notice today:
Hi everyone!

Many of you know this already, but I’ve made the decision to step away from writing CTLP. I will continue to write for and edit the site up through this coming Election Day, but after that I’ll step down, and go on into the next chapter of my life.

It wasn’t an easy decision. I do love this site, and I’ve put five years into it. But after a certain point I’ve felt I’m not putting the effort and energy into it that I have in the past, and I’ve realized that I need to step away from the political world for a little while.

It’s been a great five years here, and I’m really proud of everything we’ve done. I never expected the site to do as well as it has, and I’m both grateful for and humbled by all the opportunities it has afforded me.

I am also really hopeful that this site will continue to exist in one form or another after I go. The great community here deserves no less. I’ve already heard some great ideas, and I’m hoping to hear more over the next few weeks.

Thank you all for making this such a great place. And now, back to your regularly scheduled coverage.
Chris has always done an outstanding job running the site. He's successfully walked that fine line of allowing civil discourse to flow while keeping the discussions on topic and reasonably neutral politically.

But blogging is a very consuming activity, and despite developing the thick skin that often accompanies it, there is a point where it simply may become more trouble than it's worth. Chris has suffered ridiculous amounts of harassment by questionable characters from the political sphere. He's been the target of potentially frivolous lawsuits for things he didn't even write! When it becomes necessary to take full personal responsibility for what others write, oftentimes anonymous and cowardly others, it might be time for a respite. I can't blame him.

If Connecticut had awards for bloggers, there's no doubt that Chris Bigelow would have a bunch of them on his mantle piece.

Unless he doesn't have a fireplace. In that case they'd probably just be sitting on a bookshelf or the TV. Well, he could have a flat screen, so that might make it a bit difficult to balance them up there. Those things are made of solid brass probably, if they existed, and if dropped they can easily crush a toe. So for god's sake, be careful! They're not toys, you know. Better to leave them on the bookshelf.

Anyway, this is my way of saying "thanks, Chris". I recommend you go over there and say the same thing.

But leave out the part about the crushed toes.

3 comments:

West Haven Bob said...

As a relatively newer blogger, I can attest to the amount of time it takes.

I wish Genghis Conn all the best in every one of his future endeavours.

CT Bob is lucky to have a ready second in Kirby: her insightful blogs add a lot to his site. The rest of us aren't so lucky.

CT Bob said...

Boy, I'll totally second that statement. Kirby classes this place up like nobody's business!

Anonymous said...

Bob, The reality is noone ever went to CTLP because of Genhis' great reporting or original work because there wasn't any. He simply linked to newspaper stories without adding a thought and waited for the dogfight between the two sides to begin in the comments.

I find all the praise for him kind of funny.The equivelent would be for a nascar diver to get praise for safe driving when everyone knows without the crashes noone would watch the silly cars going round and round.

ctkeith