|Photo illustration: Alliance for American Manufacturing|
Murphy is chair of the newly formed Buy America Caucus. Here are the sobering [pdf] facts [pdf]:
- Between 2007 and 2008, waivers to Buy American laws increased by 450 percent
- In 2007, the Defense Department granted 14,159 waivers worth more than $5.7 billion in taxpayer money...
- While the nation lost 800,000 manufacturing jobs in that year alone and Connecticut lost 3,000
- The 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act included a Buy America clause
- Each new manufacturing job generates, on average, 4 new jobs in our economy
Murphy added these amendments to the House Defense spending bill that has moved to the Senate:
- No exemption from "buy American" when DOD buys materials to be used overseas (as is currently the case)
- Require DOD to report on waivers given each year with an analysis of domestic capacity and why a waiver was needed
- Require DOD to consider waivers' impacts on U.S. jobs
Nice work, Congressman.