Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dick Cheney left behind

There was something very familiar about seeing poor ol' Dick Cheney in a wheelchair.

Caused, no doubt, by a groin pull from his trying to carry huge boxes of classified documents down to the nuclear-powered shredder they have in the basement of the White House.

Then I realized it reminded me of a scene from an old movie.

So I made this video. Extra points if you know the movie's title; which should be easy if you're a fossil like me (but it's not bothering me or anything!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I am going out on a limb here... my guess is that it's from "When Worlds Collide"... not that I have seen the movie, I just know how to use google. Do I get the extra points anyway? lol.

CT Bob said...

Yeah, you win. Cheater! LOL!

It's actually a pretty good sci-fi movie from 1951, and I think it won an Oscar for special effects. Which pale in comparison to today's CGI stuff, but remember it was all done manually back then.

Anonymous said...

And, it was one of the films that inspired the most famous lyrical poet of the 1970s, Richard O'Brien, to write:

"But When Worlds Collide,
Said George Pal to his bride,
I'm gonna give you some terrible thrills,
Like a...."

I can imagine Cheney in the role of the wheelchair-bound Dr. Scott, who appears at about the 34 second mark here: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1978859801/

Anonymous said...

Psych! I thought (before watching) you were gonna go for Dr. Strangelove. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59YKlP--PhU

CT Bob said...

I didn't even THINK of the Dr. Stranglove thing, but it would have worked too. I just liked the image of the crippled doctor getting out of his wheelchair and trying to catch the flight before he dies. I'm sentimental like that.

CT Bob said...

Anonymous - Heh heh..."It's just a jump to the left..."

West Haven Bob said...

I thought of Mr. Potter from "It's a Wonderful Life"

Tessa Marquis said...

Everyone's a Comedian...but only CT Bob is actually a humorist.

CT Bob said...

Thanks, I do appreciate that, Mutt.