Press Release: On Friday, January 16, "We Refuse to Be Enemies" and other groups opposed to the attacks on Gaza and to last week’s US government full and unconditional support of Israel in this adventure, will conduct a non-violent demonstration and march from the Federal Building on Main St. in Hartford to Congressman John Larson’s Hartford office.
We Refuse to Be Enemies is a locally-based coalition of Jews, Muslims, and Christians working for peace and justice in the Middle East.
Our three goals are as follows:
1) To speak against the totally uneven situation of violence in Gaza, and against the 18-month humanitarian crisis there, about which almost all the world’s leaders except our own have expressed outrage.
2) To educate the public about the fact that both houses of Congress, including our entire CT delegation, voted last week, with no debate, and hardly any media coverage, strongly and without question to take Israel’s side, refusing to even consider that there could be a Palestinian perspective that also needs to be taken into account. In fact, Rep. John Larson was a co-sponsor of the House version of the bill, which some congressional staffers are referring to as “the AIPAC bill.”
3) To affirm our commitment to refusing to be enemies, and to urge our government to demand an immediate cease-fire on both sides, including the release of Gaza from the strangling blockade it has endured for 18 months.
Note from Rafik Beekun:
If your lands are stolen from you, if you suffer ethnic cleansing, torture and imprisonment, if you are under occupation for 60 years, if you are blockaded and starved, if your water is stolen from you, if no supplies are let in, if you cannot trade, if hundreds of millions of dollars of your taxes are withheld by occupiers, if you are hemmed in into a walled ghetto, and periodically bombed, if any protest is brutally repressed, if your children are slaughtered without remorse, if you have to go through all kinds of gates to get outside, and if these gates can be closed on a whim, then it is wrong for you to defend yourself, and you are the attacker while the occupier with its F-16s, its tanks, its missiles, its nuclear arsenal and submarines, its phosphorus and cluster bombs is “defending itself”, and the US stands by your occupier 100%.
Start: Jan 16 2009 - 3:00pm
March & Vigil to Rep. John Larson's Hartford Office.
Friday, January 16, 2009
3 PM - Gather at Federal Building
450 Main Street
Bring Signs, Props, Photos of the Israeli Massacre of Gaza.
March and Process to Rep. Larson's Office, 221 Main Street
* Deliver Open Letter to CT's Congressional Delegation (currently in process)
* Set up meeting with Rep. Larson
We Refuse to Be Enemies is calling for a mass nonviolent protest march and vigil from the federal building in Hartford to Rep. John Larson's office on Friday, 1/16 from 3-4PM.
Larson was the house co-sponsor of the "AIPAC Resolution" passed Jan. 9 that blames Hamas and justifies the Israeli govt for the Massacre in Gaza.
When our entire Congressional Delegation co-signs the Massacre, we must refuse to be silent, we must refuse to allow this heinous propaganda to go unanswered.
We Refuse to be Enemies
Middle East Crisis Committee
Council on American Islamic Relations -CT
Islamic Center of New London
Queers Without Borders
American Friends Service Committee
Hartford Catholic Worker
People of Faith CT
Other co-sponsors in formation.