Sunday, March 18, 2007

I wonder where they got the idea?

(UPDATED: see below)

An unathorized Barack Obama online commercial features the legendary "1984" ad by Apple Computers. The ad shows a futuristic world where mindless citizens are lectured by a huge visage of Hillary Clinton.

Here's the ad:



And here's a much crappier version of the ad using the same concept...

...that I made back in July, 2006.



Now, maybe they didn't get the idea from my video, but I'm just sayin'...

Oh, and judging from how high up on the page at The Drudge Report this story is, it wouldn't surprise me if pro-Republican Youtubers were responsible for the ad. They'd love to stir up trouble among the Democratic party contenders. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of nasty politics playing out on Youtube and other streaming video services. I remember a couple instances of something like that happening during the Lamont campaign from mysterious anonymous sources.

Hmmm...now that I mention it, I wonder if some of that missing $387,000 could have gone for non-authorized political ads?

UPDATE: Whew, I was right that Drudge is loving this video! It's been up on the top of the left column for 24 hours now (6PM EDT MONDAY), and that makes perfect sense to me. The denizens of Wingnuttia love nothing better than a good game of "let's you and him fight" between the Democratic frontrunners.

Of course, when the time comes for the Republicans to duke it out, something tells me there's gonna be a shitload of nasty sniping among them that will make Barack and Hillary look like bestest buddies!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching the Sundance flick - inspired me to ask you whether there is a mechanism in CT to remove Lieberman now. Write me back.

CT Bob said...

Sadly, no; you can't recall an officer elected to a national office. Only state and local officials, like governors or mayors. The only way to remove a senator is for him to be impeached and found guilty of some crime.

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world we could somehow impeach or recall Lieberman. Since I watched this video this morning it has disturbed me. Now it has been on NBC .. Cnn. Funny how the blog can play it without a copy write problem and MSM plays it off a blog. Poetic justice at times. But to go back to your point of why it ended up in Drudge. Lieberman's connections to the GOP and how they closely watched what went on in the blogs in CT. Seems to me like a direct copy of your creative thinking. How deep they are imbeded in local politics.

Scarce said...

Weirdness abounds.

Fox have featured it on their website, and on some tv news clips. Then NBC did 3 pieces today(!), including Brian Willliams, and then Olbermann and Scarborough on this one ad. So it's now been seen at least 500,000x today, after a couple of weeks where most people just went "meh.." upon seeing it (with around 100,000 views).

vagabondblogger said...

I woke up in Cairo, Egypt at 8 AM and saw one clip on the Orbit Channel's repeat of an evening news show (Orbit shows mainly MSNBC, but also eveining news, 20/20 type shows, etc.) When I first saw it with Obama.com at the end, I said, "No way!" Then on CNN Larry King interviewd Obama and asked him about the video and Obama said he had no idea where it came from. I'm sure the talking heads today, will cover it over and over and over again and I'll see it repeated here, over and over and over again.

Anonymous said...

Scarce-

The explosion in traffic was all due to Drudge, I think, which as usual cued the traditional media. He rules their world.