Sunday, May 23, 2010

Merrick Alpert withdrawing from race video

My first video from the convention shows Merrick Alpert withdrawing from the Senate race about halfway through the roll call and endorsing Richard Blumenthal. I only just turned on my camera well into Merrick's speech, so I apologize for not capturing the whole thing. I'm sure the entire video is available somewhere on the CT-N website.

At that point Alpert had only garnered about 5% of the vote, and it was obvious that he wouldn't get enough delegates to reach the 15% threshold to force a primary. So he did the right thing and withdrew, and then made the classy move of endorsing Dick after a somewhat contentious campaign leading up to the convention.

I applaud Merrick for showing good judgment and facing the political realities of the race.

No comments: