Can we all just admit that the hallowed New York Times is no longer a thing that should even remotely be considered a "liberal" newspaper?
They're a "corporatist entity", plain and simple. And their corporate ideology is reflected quite strongly in their editorial choices. They'll publish anything that will sell more papers and (more importantly) more advertising.
Just look at how this contrived "scandal" has evolved:
1) Linda McMahon's campaign admitted they scoured thousands of hours of Richard Blumenthal speeches to look for anything that might be used to embarrass him.And that's how you blog a story when you don't have a lot of time to go into it in depth. You simply quote a bunch of other people, throw in a few random insults, shake well and hit "publish post"!
2) They took a short segment out of context from one speech he gave and presented it to the NY Times as if it was a copy of the "Pentagon Papers".
3) The Times indulged in their famous "steno reporting" and simply repeated the allegations without making any effort to find the context of what really happened.
4) Blumenthal's campaign then provided video of the ENTIRE speech, which clearly showed he properly framed his history right off the bat.
5) My Left Nutmeg examines the NY Times's shitty journalism.
6) Colin McEnroe actually took a few minutes to research the story and came up with universal agreement among Connecticut's reporters that Blumenthal has always said he served in the Marine Reserves; which, by the way, is a hell of a lot closer to actual combat than that shmendrik Christopher Shays ever got!
7) Connecticut Bob called the NY Times's journalism "shitty" and Chris Shays a "shmendrik".
UPDATE: Just for fun, here's a Courant video where Linda is asked about her role in feeding the Blumenthal video to the Times, and she eschews political speak, then indulges in political speak, and finally when asked again admits she was involved in supplying the Times with the story.
That's a lot of bullshit to cram into a 36-second video! Bravo to the Courant for posting this.