Thursday, February 11, 2010

Winter Storm "Kohoutek"

(UPDATE: Here's an example of parallel thinking from Ben Devol at TheDay.com)

Those of you my age or older might remember all the hype about something that ended up being a big dud called "Kohoutec" back in the early 70s. Otherwise, you can Google it.

As blizzards go, "Winter Storm Barbara" was pretty much a bust. Did it really need a name? Silly idea. Unless we're gonna get in the habit of naming every individual flurry or downpour. Which will probably become too confusing to keep track of them all. So it's a bad idea.

At least Meteorologist Geoff Fox at WTNH-8 took responsibility for his mistake and 'fessed up. His mea culpa is especially noteworthy during a time when so few of our politicians, leaders, authority figures, and yes, even pundits seem immune to the possibility of ever admitting when they fuck something up.



Bravo to Geoff Fox for being a real mensch. (h/t to CT Blogger for the video)

How refreshing would it be for an elected official to just stand up once in a while and say "This is my responsibility. I asked you to trust me, and I screwed up. I apologize for that."

Nah, it probably won't happen...

...at least not any time before Comet Kohoutek returns!

5 comments:

Nopartisan said...

Why should a politician apologize? No matter what his party will support and make excuses for him/her, while the other will slam him/her no matter what.

Meanwhile those of us who are independents wait for November. Neither party's incumbents should feel comfortable.

West Haven Bob said...

For myself, I'm glad the forecast got screwed up in this direction...some years ago, my brother wanted Fox to come to his house and "remove the 15 inches of 'partly cloudy' that had fallen overnight".

lakezoarian said...

Ya know WH Bob, I think your brother had a very smart idea there...

I can just picture it- Roger Ailes there on his hands and knees at the end of the driveway with one of those little plastic shovels that a young kid brings to the beach. Brother standing over him with a horsewhip, telling that toad that he got such a small shovel because it's to be one scoop for each lie or deception foisted on the American public. Only fair, after all. "Hurry up Roger, I haven't got all day." SNAP!

West Haven Bob said...

And, after all, Palin only has two hands...

Authentic Connecticut Republican said...

>>This is my responsibility. I asked you to trust me, and I screwed up. I apologize for that."

I think a few have actually done that; but it was as they were being led away in handcuffs as I recall....