Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sunday Night Music Club v.49

David Bowie's 1997 song "I'm Afraid Of Americans" has a certain resonance during today's political climate. Much of the world agrees with Bowie on this point, although he was aiming for a more sardonic tone here.

The video, featuring Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails, is full of violent and aggressive symbolism. Bowie and Reznor collaborated on several projects, and I was lucky to see David Bowie and NIN perform together during a late '90s tour. I had a general admission ticket to the venue, but I crafted some fake wristbands from a promotional magazine that roughly matched the color of the bands given to people who could access the floor directly in front of the stage, and it fooled the bouncers enough that I was able to get it. So I got to see Bowie perform some classics from his past from about 20 feet away, along with a few duets with Reznor and NIN.



No comments: