Monday, January 22, 2007

Blog For Choice Day

Reposted from Spazeboy.net as I'm utterly swamped by work and political obligations and don't have the energy to be creative today. Besides, he does a good job with the post:

I don’t have a story. I mean, as far as I know, none of the women in my life (mom, sister, fiance, cousins, aunts or friends) has had an abortion.

And although the odds are in favor of me knowing someone who has terminated her pregnancy, one of the reasons I’m pro-choice is because it’s none of my damn business.

Here are a few more reasons:

* I’m pro-choice because the circumstances under which women may need to make a choice are infinite.
* I’m pro-choice because I’m a man who is very much pro-woman.
* I’m pro-choice because I have no interest in establishing government jurisdiction over the uterus.

And one for the Family Institute of Connecticut folks:

* I’m not pro-choice because I’m an atheist, but I did begin to question my religious beliefs because I was a pro-choice Christian.

Today is the 34th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, so if you’ve got a blog you could be participating in Blog for Choice Day too.

Update:
Caffeinated Geek Girl from both CT Local Politics and her eponymous blog is participating.

So is Tessa over at My Left Nutmeg.

And help Spazeboy help Spazemom here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU CT BOB!!!! Creativity is not required here; your reasons for being pro-choice are all that is necessary – THANK YOU from me and all pro-choice woman….we applaud you! I know I'm dating myself, but I marched in the first "pro-abortion" (pro-choice terminology came later) rally and worked very hard to make sure that woman could hold power over their own bodies and make their own child bearing decisions under the law. I never thought I would see the day we would have to revisit this challenge all over again. Just like Vietnam was supposed to be the war that ended all senseless wars, Roe vs Wade was the law that was supposed end chauvinism and legally grant reproductive freedom to all women. Even though my child bearing years are over, I will continue to fight for reproductive rights because there is no better alternative to “freedom” than “choice”!